Sunday, April 12, 2015

Few words, lots of photos

Greetings: Easter Sunday for the Orthodox Church. I set out for Elbasan to go to services and find a quiet cafe with internet to do assignments and study. While having my morning Earl Grey tea, my host father came out to the porch and asked me to join him in the morning raki. OK. It tastes better than gasoline but drinks like it could power a Formula One machine. 
And good morning to you, Sali!
On the way into Elbasan I saw a livestock market, which I had seen before, and decided to take in the experience:


Some goats and a donkey
More goats
Some seriously confused hornage
An offer that was tough to pass up!!
Now, over this weekend I caught some local fare:















The local butcher in my village would not let me take his picture, but this is how it's done:
Some local harvesting, in this case chickens:
Only the heads are left over!!
Finally to the church - missed the services, but here is the view:
Oldest Orthodox Church in Elbasan
A pick-up soccer game
A favorite back street in Elbasan
A Sunday afternoon in Elbasan
Now some past images:

A month ago, back in Philadelphia, my dear friend Beth gave me a bon voyage bottle of wine. Didn't have time to drink it, no room in my luggage, no way it was getting carried on. The Peace Corps Director, Carrie Hessler-Radelet made an appearance. I thought, what the hell. Pretty sure when this photo was taken I had just told her that we had all chipped in a dime - all 55 of us. Funny. 
 
An Elbasan high school visit - great kids!!
With a couple of the PC staff, Ymer and Tani - "Did I get it right??"
Nailed it! BAM!!
This is what a furgon looks like - and a hell of a lot newer than anything I've ridden in
Megi and Erion, our principal language teachers
My barber, Ali - he brought out his camera when I told him I was with the Peace Corps
My good friend Toni, on the way from the furgon drop-off to the hub - a really great guy!
Some of the neighborhood munchkins - most of the time they run down to meet me at the end of the day
And finally, Sardi's imitation of me - spot on! I love this guy!
Well, I hope you enjoyed the pics - I have about a hundred of them. I trust all is well with everyone and I send you my affectionate greetings from Albania. Four weeks (holy heck, I just read this post again and I saw I originally posted "months" - it just seems like it!) as a Peace Corps trainee - in a few weeks I find out if I made the cut and then I get my site post. Later. XOXO




3 comments:

  1. From one RPCV to a current PCV...Take the advice to heart! Relax about the language acquisition. You will make a very successful volunteer given your incredible strengths in other areas. Keep the pics coming. It's great to see you looking so incredibly happy. Remember, there will be incredible highs and lows. That's PC. A successful Peace Corps Volunteer learns to adapt and thrive. Bill, you have truly found what you have been placed on this planet to do....explore, connect and do some good on behalf of others. I wish you continued success! Love ya buddy! Clint and Jennifer RPCVs (Thailand 2006-2008)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Clint and Jen: You guys got me through the post-invitation stuff. I'd probably still be in Guatemala (which would still be great) if I hadn't had your help. Hanging in there and my enthusiasm is growing. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pictures make me chuckle...except for the dead goat ones, but here we are. Love you!

    ReplyDelete